Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Diabetes and Relationships

Let me just start this post off by saying that even though this subject can feel awkward, it doesn't have to, and shouldn't be! Relationships. whether they're platonic or romantic, are a natural part of human life and diabetes shouldn't get in the way of this. Diabetes can pose lots of questions in relationships on both sides. How do I tell them I have diabetes? Is it okay to check my blood sugar or give an injection in front of them? Does that hurt? Can you eat this? Can you eat that?
Questions are normal, and you shouldn't be afraid to ask or answer them. As long as you're open and not afraid to be yourself and maybe even be a little vulnerable, you'll both be fine. :)
But I'm going to answer some of the questions that diabetics at least have in regards to relationships and their diabetes.
When should I tell someone that I'm diabetic?
Telling someone that you're diabetic can be scary, depending on how open you are about it, but at some point or another they're going to find out anyway. In my experience, at least, the best way to "tell" someone you have diabetes is just to take care of it in front of them( check your blood sugar, give yourself an injection, etc.) and let them ask questions. This is always how people have found out that I have diabetes(for the most part) and it's just a natural way for it to come up.

Can I check my blood sugar/give an injection in front of them?
Although you probably want to make sure they're not super squeamish about needles or blood, I think the answer to this is yes. If they're your friends, and especially if they're your boyfriend/girlfriend, you should be able to be comfortable and you should be able to take care of yourself with them. This may not happen immediately but it will happen, don't get discouraged. :) Some things take time, and being comfortable enough to stab yourself(not quite so much, but that's probably about what it looks like to them) can take a little time.

The best advice I can give you is just don't overthink it too much! At the end of the day, diabetes does not change who you are as a person and it shouldn't change the way they see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment