Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Importance of Being Prepared

I'm just going to start out this post by saying that I meant to do this post a while ago(and by a while ago, I mean a week ago...oops.) But, you know, other things got in the way and I just kind of forgot. Nonetheless, here it is!
Last week I was reminded of the importance of being prepared as a diabetic. While at school, I somehow managed to rip out my infusion set when I stood up to go to the bathroom during class(super embarrassing and I still don't know how I managed to do it.... hahahaha). After doing this, I had to call my mom to have her bring me a new infusion set to put it and it hit me that I really needed to start carrying around an extra infusion set in case this were to happen again. The feeling of needing to be prepared was only furthered when my mom brought up the point that next year when I'm away at college I won't be able to call her if something like that happens. I'll only be about thirty minutes away from home, but still, I she's right. I do need to be prepared and carry extras around with me. And so do you! If you've bee a diabetic for any amount of time or even just know one, you know that there's just always going be things you have to carry around with you everywhere you go. That's just a fact of life for diabetics. But, rather than denying this and not being prepared, it's best to just embrace it and go along with it. So, since this incident with my infusion set, I've had at least an extra set in my backpack and I keep meaning to get a little "diabetic emergency kit" type thing put together, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet(oops...get with it, Megan!)
In this post, along with telling you/reminding you  that being prepared is important, I thought I'd share my idea for my little bag with you guys! I plan to get a little makeup bag thing or something of the sort that can easily be grabbed and thrown from one bag to another with ease. In this bag, I plan to keep:
  • an extra infusion set
  • glucose tabs
  • extra test strips
  • extra pump/meter batteries
  • band aids
  • snacks for lows
This is just what I think I'll put in there. Who knows what will actually end up in there! Let me know what you guys carry around with you or think I need to carry around with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment