Thursday, March 26, 2015

Eating Vegetarian/Vegan with Diabetes: Days 2+3

Hey guys!
I'm back blogging about the transition to vegetarian/veganism with diabetes and things have not gone quite as planned. As I mentioned in my blog about day one of eating vegan(or at least I think I did) day one did not go quite as smoothly as I would have liked for it to go and I ended up eating foods that definitely were not vegan and after day one, I decided to try to simply eat vegetarian to begin with, thus the change in the title of this post. And honestly, I don't regret making this decision. It's still been hard watching my family eating meat and telling myself to be strong and not eat it, but adding dairy and other animal products back into my diet is making the transition a lot easier. Not completely, but significantly easier. And what I've learned from my few days of eating vegetarian, is that it is completely possible to still feel good without consuming meat, and that while choosing to eat vegetarian /vegan requires more food prep and planning, it helps reduce stress when you think ahead about what you'll eat and don't just walk to the pantry to find food.
As far as diabetes goes, there have been some ups and downs, quite literally. While I haven't had many, if any, lows due to cutting meat out of my diet, there have been a few highs caused by not letting myself have certain foods during the day and then losing my resolve at night and forgetting to bolus for the foods I'm eating, which has led to a few after-high lows. But, overall, I haven't noticed much, if any, change in blood glucose patterns from the few days I've cut out meat and most dairy.
If anything, deciding to make the switch to vegetarianism has been a good decision. Yes, some days have been rough as far as missing meat, I'm not going to lie, but I have noticed that I'm making a more conscious effort to eat healthy and to check my blood sugar more regularly, which has been something I've been struggling to do for so long. I haven't been perfect, but I've been better than I have been. I've been eating tons of fresh fruits and veggies, and learning what I like and don't like, and while it's still a learning process, I'm starting to feel confident about my decision and I think that's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment