Friday, March 6, 2015

How to Handle Lows

Low blood sugars can be one of the most annoying parts about being a diabetic, or at least to me they can be. I'll be at school taking a test, or out to see a movie with my boyfriend, or laying in bed at night, and I'll start feeling like my blood sugar is dropping. If I'm by myself or at home or in a situation where testing my blood sugar isn't a problem, then of course I'm going to sit down, test, and eat or drink something to bring it up if it actually is low. But, it can be harder to deal with a low when I'm out and about. A lot of the time, for me at least, I feel like I can't take the time away from class or from whatever I'm doing to take care of my blood sugar and to take care of myself.
No matter where you are, though, it's important to take the time to take care of yourself and your blood sugar. Not only can a low blood sugar be unpleasant and make it hard to focus, they can be dangerous. No one wants to pass out because of a low, so it's important to take care of low blood sugars promptly.
The first thing to do is check(obviously.) It's helpful to know just how low you are or if you're low at all. It's the weirdest thing, but sometimes your body makes you feel like you're low when you're actually not. In addition to this, it's also helpful to have a record of lows so your doctor can help you see a pattern and fix whatever is causing the lows.
After you check, you're just going to sit tight and eat or drink something to bring your blood sugar up. Glucose tabs, juice, milk- any of these will do. What you want to keep in mind while treating lows is that you want to choose something that has fast acting sugar and not a lot of fat. The sugar will bring it up quickly whereas the fat will cause it to rise slowly. While you're waiting for your blood sugar to come back up to normal, just take it easy and rest for a few minutes. Moving around will only slow down your blood sugar as it rises and most of the time, you probably aren't going to feel great. Lows can cause you to feel weak and shaky, so there's nothing wrong with just sitting down for a minute!
So that's my advice. Although they're extremely annoying, lows aren't too complicated to handle. Just handle the promptly and take it easy while your body gets back to where it needs to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment