Friday, April 10, 2015

Diabetes Update

Diabetes requires lots of extra doctors visits that normal people don't have to go to. Along with yearly check ups with my normal physician, I see my eye doctor every year(rather than every couple of years like most people), I see my endocrinologist every three months(4 times a year), and my cde(certified diabetes educator) every three months as well. So, saying I stay healthy and don't get sick and need to go to the doctor for other reasons, I go to the doctor about 10 times a year. That's a lot. I mention this because yesterday I went to see my endocrinologist for my routine check up, and unlike my previous appointments this year, it actually went really well, which was a surprising change. 😄 My A1c went down from 8.7 to 7.2(which is a healthy A1c for a diabetic) in three months, which is soooo much better than it had been in quite some time. I'd been stuck in the 8 point range for a while now, so being in the healthy range was kind of unexpected but nonetheless nice. Although my parents, grandparents, and endocrinologist were quick to credit my lower A1c and better checking habits to my boyfriend Michael, who has been very, very helpful and supportive about my diabetes and has helped me by reminding me to check when I forget and making sure I give myself insulin when I eat, I think I deserve some credit too. Going from checking maybe once a day to checking 3-4 times a day hasn't been easy, especially since I've just been really tired of diabetes and everything that comes with it. With that being said, I'm not at all trying to discredit Michael or say that he hasn't helped, because he most definitely has. Michael not only reminds me to take care if myself, but he also makes me want to take care of myself and has motivated me to want to be healthy.   I want to be healthy so I can be around for him for a long, long time and because of that, I'm trying more now. Michael has come into my life and not only captured my heart, but also become my motivation to try my best every day to be healthy, and I'll always be grateful for him. 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment