Sunday, April 19, 2015

Traveling with Diabetes

This weekend, I travelled to and spend a few days in Atlanta, Georgia for a choir trip. We did some shopping, went to Medieval Times, spent a day in Six Flags, and went to church where Dr. Charles Stanley preaches. Overall, it was a pretty good weekend, and other than a few blisters and a headache, I made it out without too many bumps or bruises. But, this trip reminded me of how annoying diabetes can be when traveling. You sit in the car for hours and your blood sugar goes up. You snack and forget to bolus and then your blood sugar goes up even more. You treat your blood sugar and then you our drop. It's a vicious cycle. 
I don't have any life changing tips, but I do have a few recommendations. First of all, check. Check before you eat, check a couple hours into the trip, check, check, check. 
Secondly, if you're at a theme park, or somewhere where you'll be walking a lot, don't bolus quite as much for food or lower your basal rate to help avoid lows. I did this at Six Flags, and it helped tremendously. I think I had one low. Maybe. 
Lastly, it goes without saying I think, but be prepared. Take extra supplies, batteries, sugar tablets, etc. Just take plenty of supplies and be prepared. 😃

No comments:

Post a Comment