Tuesday, April 7, 2015

I CAN eat that!

As a diabetic, you probably hear, "Can you eat that?" "Can you eat sugar?" "So, what can you eat?" and other similar questions quite frequently. Unless you live with the disease or know people who do, you probably don't know much about diabetes or how it works, and that's okay. But, if you don't know about diabetes, please, please, PLEASE don't ask us stupid questions. Most of the ads and programs on television about diabetes are about Type 2 Diabetes, which is completely different from Type 1 Diabetes. In Type 1 Diabetes, the immune system attacks and kills the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas and your body stops producing insulin completely because it has no way to do so. In Type 2 Diabetes, your body just doesn't make enough insulin or you body cannot use the insulin properly(known as insulin resistance.) Admittedly, I don't know much about Type 2 Diabetes because I don't live with it and deal with it on a daily basis, and if the information I just gave on Type 2 is incorrect or false, please correct it and forgive me. I am in no way trying to misrepresent that disease because I know how frustrating that can be, and to the best of my knowledge, that information is correct, but if I'm wrong, please correct me. :)
Although you'll get questions about food frequently, those aren't the only ones you'll hear. You'll also probably hear, "Does that hurt?" "How often do you have to do that?" "Will you have to do this for the rest of your life?" And, although these questions may annoy you and you may want to scream, "Yes, of course it hurts! It's a needle going into my body!" It's probably best to refrain from doing so. People ask questions because they don't know, not to be annoying, and the best way to handle questions, no matter how tired we are of hearing them, is to answer them sincerely. People want to know what we go through and how they can help, and the only way they'll know is if we take the time to answer their questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment